Friday, July 30, 2010

Learning and more learning

Last week the Windows Phone team hosted a series of Jump Start courses, which I "attended" for the most part. Unfortunately, my children were accommodating during the parts that I knew, but not the parts that I wanted most to see, but that's what reruns are for, right? It was a good overview of what the platform could do and how to do some interesting introductory things in both Silverlight and XNA. Alas, I did not win a T-shirt nor the private jet that they gave away.

I also "attended" the unboxing of a Windows Phone 7 by Tim Heuer. It may sound a bit lame, watching a guy open a package and play with the device, but it certainly makes things more real when you see a live device in someone's hands, being loaded fresh with apps and working. It was a decent group of people also watching, chatting on the side of the video. And, we learned not to stick a microSIM card into a SIM slot (but that it can be successfully removed).

This week I also moved from XNA experimentation to learning more Silverlight. Well, I haven't gotten to the Silverlight per se, but have started writing some background code (for Yet Another Twitter App) that will support the data-driven aspects of Silverlight. If you're so inclined, you can watch the Back|Start|Search twitter account for lots of noisy tweets while testing the app over the next while. After that, we might actually start using that account to tweet things of import!

No comments:

Post a Comment